'Religious sentiments cannot be hurt,' govt sources says on postponing Kangana Ranaut's Emergency release: Reports
New Delhi/IBNS: The Centre Monday said 'religious sentiments can't be hurt' as they explained the reason for postponing the release date of Kangana Ranaut-starrer 'Emergency', media reports said.
"Few religious organisations have raised concerns about this. Religious sentiments cannot be hurt. There is some sensitive content in the movie," NDTV quoting sources said.
"The government is taking it (the concerns) seriously," they added.
'Emergency', in which Kangana Ranaut portrays former Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, was initially scheduled to be released on September 6.
However, the release date was postponed multiple times earlier.
The film's release has been deferred again as it is awaiting a certificate from the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC).
Several Sikh bodies have demanded a ban on the release of the movie claiming it misrepresents the community.
According to reports, a top gurdwara body Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) has sent a legal notice to the producers of 'Emergency', citing the film's misrepresentation of the history of Sikhs.
It demanded the removal of the objectionable scenes that will hurt Sikh sentiments.
The actor-turned-politician, a BJP MP from Mandi, who is herself the director, writer, and co-producer of 'Emergency', earlier termed the postponing of the film's release over such objections as "hugely demotivating and unjust".
Drawing parallels between her movie and Netflix series 'IC814: The Kandahar Hijack', she said censorship was only for those who make films based on "historic facts".
"Law of the land is that one can show unimaginable amount of violence and nudity on OTT platforms without any consequence or censorship, one can even distort real-life events to suit their politically motivated sinister motives, there is all the freedom for communists or leftists across the world for such anti-national expressions," Kangana was quoted as saying by NDTV.
The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has summoned Netflix content head Monika Shergill over the controversy around the recent series IC 814: The Kandahar Hijack which is currently available on their platform.
The series is loosely based on the 1999 hijack of the Indian aircraft IC 814 by five terrorists.
The makers of the series faced the wrath of netizens who claimed the names of the hijackers were deliberately changed to "Bhola” and “Shankar”.
A government source told an Indian news channel that it is taking the matter very seriously and added that "nobody has the right to play with the sentiments of people of this country".
The series is directed by Anubhav Sinha and written by Adrian Levy and Trishant Srivastava.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese
New Delhi/IBNS: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday congratulated his Australian counterpart Anthony Albanese on his wedding to financial services professional and women's advocate Jodie Haydon, calling the Australian leader “a good friend”.

Massive U-turn! Mamata Banerjee finally bows to Centre’s Waqf law after months of fierce resistance
Kolkata/IBNS: In a major shift from its earlier stance, the Mamata Banerjee-led West Bengal government has accepted the controversial Waqf (Amendment) Act passed by Parliament earlier this year, media reports said.

Delhi Police serves notice to private hospitals for doctors who studied in Pakistan, Bangladesh, UAE, China
New Delhi/IBNS: Intensifying its investigation into the Red Fort blast case, Delhi Police has now issued notices to all private hospitals across the national capital, asking them to submit records of doctors who obtained their medical degrees abroad.

'My name is Sophie': Meet saree-clad AI teacher developed by 17-year-old UP student
Lucknow/IBNS: In a remarkable advancement for low-cost educational technology, a 17-year-old student from Uttar Pradesh's Bulandshahr has engineered an Artificial Intelligence (AI) teacher robot.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

