Munich protests draws 200,000 against Iran crackdown as Pahlavi urges US action
Munich: Around 200,000 people gathered in Munich on Saturday to protest Iran’s crackdown on anti-government demonstrations, according to police estimates.
The turnout was roughly double what organisers, a group known as the Munich Circle, had expected.
The rally coincided with the Munich Security Conference, which has drawn more than 60 world leaders and about 100 foreign and defence ministers to the city for its 62nd edition.
Demonstrators voiced support for Reza Pahlavi, the son of Iran’s last shah, who was overthrown in 1979. By late afternoon, Pahlavi had not addressed the crowd.
The U.S.-based Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) says more than 7,000 people have died in Iran’s crackdown on protests triggered by worsening economic conditions.
The unrest began in late December and turned most violent on January 8 and 9.
While large-scale protests have since subsided, activists say arrests continue and fear the death toll could rise.
Speaking on the sidelines of the security conference, Pahlavi urged U.S. President Donald Trump to take decisive action against Tehran’s leadership.
He said further talks between Washington and Tehran could cost lives without resolving Iran’s political crisis.
“Every day that goes by, more Iranians are dying in Iran,” Pahlavi told reporters, calling for “rapid intervention” and saying the ultimate goal should be the swift removal of the government.
From exile, Pahlavi has sought to position himself as a leading opposition figure, though the extent of his influence inside Iran remains unclear.
Trump has sent mixed signals in recent weeks, deploying military assets to the region while also saying Iran could avoid a US strike by agreeing to stricter limits on its nuclear programme.
He has deployed military assets to the region, including aircraft carriers, and said he would favour a change of power in Iran, calling it "the best thing that could happen."
But he also said that Tehran could avoid a US attack by agreeing to a deal that significantly curbs Iran's nuclear programme, among other things.
The United States and Iran held talks last year over Tehran's nuclear programme, but negotiations stalled. New talks began earlier this month in Oman and another round is anticipated.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Pakistani court hands 13-year-old Christian girl to alleged kidnapper husband — Parents devastated
A Pakistani court this month gave the custody of a 13-year-old Christian girl to the man who had kidnapped, converted her to Islam and married her, media reports said.

BLA issues 7-day ultimatum to Islamabad as it claims custody of 7 Pakistani soldiers
The separatist militant group Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) has claimed that it is holding seven members of Pakistan’s security forces and has issued a seven-day ultimatum to Islamabad to negotiate a prisoner exchange.

Embarrassing scene in Munich? Viral video shows Asim Munir nearly stopped, asked to flash ID at Munich Security Summit
Pakistan Army Chief Asim Munir was seen in a viral video being stopped by a security official during an event in Munich, Germany, after he was reportedly asked to visibly display his identity card.

German defence minister sees easing transatlantic tensions after first day in Munich Security Conference
Munich: German Defense Minister Boris Pistorius said he saw signs of easing tensions in transatlantic relations following the first day of the Munich Security Conference.
Latest News

Croma’s summer sale is here — Up to 71 pct off on ACs, premium TVs!

Pakistani court hands 13-year-old Christian girl to alleged kidnapper husband — Parents devastated

Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message

Ye to perform in India next month, check out the venue

