Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.
In a statement on social media, the IAF said India had “swiftly launched Operation Sagar Bandhu” following the widespread destruction caused by Cyclone Ditwah across Sri Lanka.
According to the IAF, a C-130 and an IL-76 aircraft were dispatched from Hindon Air Base during the intervening night of November 28 and 29.
Operation Sagar Bandhu | Humanitarian Assistance
— Indian Air Force (@IAF_MCC) November 29, 2025
In the wake of the devastation caused by Cyclone Ditwah across Sri Lanka, India swiftly launched Operation Sagar Bandhu to bolster relief efforts.
The Indian Air Force promptly deployed one C-130 and one IL-76 from Hindan Air… pic.twitter.com/cIT7gKiPNs
The aircraft carried essential rations, critical relief items, NDRF teams, and equipment required for search, rescue, and humanitarian operations.
“Demonstrating the Neighbourhood First policy, India stands in full solidarity with Sri Lanka during this challenging time,” the statement added.
A C-130 aircraft carrying food supplies and sanitary essentials landed at Colombo’s Bandaranaike International Airport around 1:30 am, where officials from the Indian High Commission and the Sri Lanka Air Force received the consignment.
Operation Sagar Bandhu
India launched ‘Operation Sagar Bandhu’ on Friday, November 28, to support Sri Lanka in the ongoing crisis.
Another @IAF_MCC IL-76 aircraft lands in Colombo with:
— Dr. S. Jaishankar (@DrSJaishankar) November 29, 2025
➡️9 Tons Relief Material
➡️2 Urban Search & Rescue Teams comprising 80 National Disaster Response Force Personnel
A total of around 27 tons of relief material delivered by air and sea. More is on the way!
🇮🇳 🇱🇰… pic.twitter.com/1YKjb0duzg
The first batch of relief material was delivered earlier after the Indian Navy’s aircraft carrier INS Vikrant and the frontline warship INS Udaigiri transported consignments to the island nation.
Death toll climbs to 123
Sri Lanka’s Disaster Management Centre (DMC) reported that as of 9 a.m. Saturday, at least 123 people had died, and 130 others were missing due to floods and landslides triggered by the cyclone.
The DMC said more than 200,000 people from 61,000 families have been affected countrywide.
Cyclone Ditwah batters Sri Lanka, leaving at least 123 dead. Photo: Screengrab from X
However, officials in Kandy warned that the toll could be higher, noting that more than 50 deaths had been reported in the district by late Friday night, though the figure had not yet been officially verified.
Badulla district in the central highlands has also suffered extensive damage, with over 35 deaths and many residents still unaccounted for due to landslides.
Sri Lanka is confronting one of its worst natural disasters in recent years as Cyclone Ditwah unleashed heavy rains, floods, landslides, and widespread destruction of infrastructure.
Authorities ordered evacuations as major reservoirs and rivers overflowed.
The weather department cautioned that rainfall exceeding 200 mm was likely, even though Cyclone Ditwah was expected to leave Sri Lankan territory by late Saturday.
Nearly 35% of the country has been without electricity since early Friday, affecting about seven million Ceylon Electricity Board customers.
Continuous rainfall and rising floodwaters have slowed restoration efforts.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Cooperative Minister inaugurates Longtharai’s Jolaibari retailers meet

Saving the Gentle Giant: How India’s Fishers Are Leading a Whale Shark Revival

Cyclone Ditwah affects Tamil Nadu: Flights cancelled, schools shut

Smriti Mandhana, Palaash Muchhal 'update' Instagram bios, spark fresh buzz after wedding postponement

