Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal
New Delhi/IBNS: Congress MP Rahul Gandhi on Saturday launched a fresh attack on Prime Minister Narendra Modi over the India-US trade deal, hours after the US Supreme Court struck down former US President Donald Trump’s reciprocal tariffs.
In a post on X, the Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha accused the Prime Minister of being “compromised” and claimed he would be unable to renegotiate the agreement.
“The PM is compromised. His betrayal now stands exposed. He can’t renegotiate. He will surrender again,” Gandhi wrote.
The PM is compromised.
— Rahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) February 21, 2026
His betrayal now stands exposed.
He can’t renegotiate.
He will surrender again.
The US Supreme Court on Friday struck down Trump’s sweeping tariff measures, ruling that he exceeded his authority by imposing them under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA).
In a 6–3 decision authored by Chief Justice John Roberts, the Court held that the US Constitution grants Congress — not the president — the power to levy taxes and impose tariffs. The majority observed that if Congress had intended to give such authority under IEEPA, it would have done so explicitly.
With the reciprocal tariffs struck down, India is expected to revert to the earlier tariff structure of 3.5 percent that existed before the sweeping measures were introduced last year.
However, shortly after the ruling — which Trump described as “outrageous” and a “disaster for US workers” — he announced fresh 10 percent tariffs on all countries, including India.
When asked about tariffs on India, Trump said New Delhi would pay 18 percent, while Washington would pay 0 percent under the recently signed trade agreement.
“Nothing changes, they’ll be paying tariffs, and we will not be paying tariffs. So, the deal with India is they pay tariffs. This is a reversal from what it used to be. I think Prime Minister Modi is a great gentleman, a great man, actually, but he was much smarter than the people that he was against in terms of the United States,” Trump was quoted as saying by The Times of India.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

No more cash at toll plazas? Big highway rule change from April 1
In order to develop a fully digital National Highway tolling ecosystem, NHAI is contemplating completely discontinuing cash transactions at the National Highway fee plazas across the country from April 1.

Big Boost for India’s steel ambitions as Brazil joins hands
India’s Ministry of Steel has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Brazil’s Ministry of Mines and Energy to strengthen cooperation in mining and minerals critical to the steel sector.

Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports
New Delhi/IBNS: Delhi has been placed on alert after intelligence inputs warned of a possible terror threat near the Red Fort, media reports said.

Youth Congress workers detained after shirtless protest at India AI Impact Summit
Several members of the Indian Youth Congress were detained by Delhi Police on Friday after staging a brief protest inside the India AI Impact Summit 2026 at Bharat Mandapam, prompting heightened security at the high-profile international event, media reports said.
Latest News

Canada’s AI minister concludes India visit focused on digital partnerships

Legends reunite! Rajinikanth, Kamal Haasan starrer KHxRK promo unveiled with retro swagger

‘Felt restricted in Hindi films’: Priyanka Chopra reveals why she moved abroad

No more cash at toll plazas? Big highway rule change from April 1

