Shock exit, star returns: Steve Smith replaces Hazlewood in T20 WC squad ahead of crucial Sri Lanka match
Australian veteran Steve Smith was added to the T20 squad for the ongoing World Cup as a replacement for injured pacer Josh Hazlewood.
Australia's campaign suffered a blow after Zimbabwe beat the side by 23 runs. The former champions are now facing a do-or-die encounter against Sri Lanka.
Smith has been added just hours before the crucial match that will ensure Australia's Super 8 advancement.
Smith takes Josh Hazlewood's spot in Australia's World Cup squad with a replacement not immediately named when the paceman was ruled out of the tournament earlier this month as he recovers from an Achilles injury, reported Cricket Australia website.
Smith trained with the squad in Kandy on Sunday after arriving in Sri Lanka recently as a cover for opener Mitch Marsh.
Marsh missed Australia's first two matches with a testicular injury.
Marsh returned to training on Sunday, moving freely during running and fielding drills as he pushes to make his comeback against the tournament co-hosts at Pallekele Stadium later tonight (Tuesday, 12:30am AEDT), the website said.
In a separate statement, International Cricket COuncil confirmed the development and said in a statement, "Smith is named as a replacement for Hazlewood, who is now officially ruled out from participating in the tournament due to a calf injury."
The team’s medical staff had hoped to have him fit in time to feature in the latter parts of the tournament but were unsuccessful.
"The replacement of a player requires the approval of the Event Technical Committee before the replacement player can be officially added to the squad," the statement said.
The Event Technical committee of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 consists of Wasim Khan (Chair, ICC General Manager - Cricket), Gaurav Saxena (ICC General Manager – Events & Corporate Communications, IBC representative), Hemang Amin (Tournament Director, host representative) and Shaun Pollock (Independent nominee).
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

From 105/5 to dominance: Will Jacks’ blazing knock rescues England at Eden Gardens
Kolkata/IBNS: A blazing half-century by Will Jacks powered England to post a challenging target of 203 against Italy in their Group C clash of the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2026 at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata on Monday.

Shoaib Akhtar, Mohammad Yousuf blast PCB chief Mohsin Naqvi after Pakistan’s humiliating T20 World Cup loss to India
Former Pakistan cricketers Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Yousuf launched a scathing attack on Mohsin Naqvi, chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), following Pakistan’s crushing defeat to India in the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2025.

PCB chief Mohsin Naqvi leaves stadium mid-match as India crush Pakistan in T20 World Cup clash
Colombo/IBNS: Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Mohsin Naqvi’s early departure from the stadium during the India-Pakistan clash at the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2025 reflected the frustration surrounding Pakistan’s struggles against India in ICC tournaments.

T20 World Cup: Kishan’s 77 sparks carnage as India crush Pakistan by 61 runs, storm into Super 8
India’s run in the ongoing ICC Men's T20 World Cup gathered further momentum as the defending champions thrashed arch-rivals Pakistan national cricket team by 61 runs in a one-sided group-stage clash in Colombo on Sunday.
Latest News

Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case

From 105/5 to dominance: Will Jacks’ blazing knock rescues England at Eden Gardens

Shoaib Akhtar, Mohammad Yousuf blast PCB chief Mohsin Naqvi after Pakistan’s humiliating T20 World Cup loss to India

India set to stake its claim in global AI race with power-packed tech leaders’ summit

