Breaking
Loading breaking news...
Loading...
Northeast Herald Logo

Trump warns Iran to make 'meaningful deal' as US military buildup intensifies in Middle East

US President Donald Trump has warned Iran that it must agree to a “meaningful” deal amid a large-scale American military buildup in the Middle East, saying the United States may be forced to “take it further” if diplomacy fails, media reports said.

IBNS
5 min read
Trump warns Iran to make 'meaningful deal' as US military buildup intensifies in Middle East
Share this article:

Speaking during the inaugural meeting of the so-called “Board of Peace”, Trump said reaching an agreement with Iran had historically been difficult.

“It’s proven to be over the years not easy to make a meaningful deal with Iran. We have to make a meaningful deal, otherwise bad things happen,” he said, adding that developments would become clear “over the next probably 10 days."

The warning comes even as the US and Iran recently resumed indirect talks, mediated by Oman. The discussions followed Trump’s earlier threats of military action over a deadly crackdown on protesters in Iran last month.

A day earlier, Trump suggested on his social media platform Truth Social that the US could strike Iran. He also cautioned United Kingdom against relinquishing sovereignty over the Chagos Islands, arguing that the Diego Garcia airbase might be required if Iran does not agree to a deal.

Reports of possible US strike

According to reports by CNN and CBS, the US military could be ready to launch strikes against Iran as early as this weekend.

CNN reported that the White House has been briefed on military readiness, though Trump remains undecided and has been consulting advisers and allies.

The Wall Street Journal reported that Trump has been briefed on military options designed to inflict maximum damage, including plans targeting senior Iranian political and military leaders, citing unnamed US officials.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Wednesday that Iran does not want war but cannot accept what he described as imposed demands.

“From the day I took office, I have believed that war must be set aside,” he said, adding that Iran would not submit to humiliation.

US military buildup in the region

Despite diplomatic efforts, Washington has significantly expanded its military presence near Iran.

The US currently has 13 warships in the Middle East, including the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, along with nine destroyers and three littoral combat ships, according to a US official.

Another carrier, the USS Gerald R. Ford, the world’s largest, is en route from the Atlantic to the Middle East with three accompanying destroyers. It is rare for two US aircraft carriers to be deployed simultaneously in the region.

The US has also deployed additional air power, including F-22 Raptor, F-15 and F-16 fighter jets, as well as KC-135 aerial refuelling aircraft.

Flight-tracking data from Flightradar24 shows multiple US military aircraft operating in and around the Middle East, underscoring preparations for a potential escalation.
 

Tags:
#agartala news#tripura news#northeast herald#world news

IBNS

Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.

Related Articles