'We Are Taking Back Control': Canadian Finance Minister Champagne on CUSMA, Asian Trade Shift
Ottawa: Finance Minister François-Philippe Champagne declared that Canada is "taking back control of our Canadian economy" amid uncertainties surrounding the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA), emphasising diversification through strengthened ties with Asian trade partners.
Champagne made the remarks during a February 19, 2026, interview on CTV News, responding to reports from The New York Times and Bloomberg about U.S. President Donald Trump considering withdrawal from CUSMA to extract more concessions from Canada.
He stressed Canada's readiness to negotiate while highlighting the agreement's vital role for North American competitiveness, noting that Canada buys more from the U.S. than China, Japan, and the UK combined.
Champagne dismissed direct concerns over the reports, focusing instead on global opportunities after recent meetings with European finance ministers.
Canada is actively pivoting to Asia to build economic resilience, with Champagne citing interest from Japanese partners and others eager for more Canadian goods like critical minerals, energy, and natural resources.
This aligns with broader government efforts, including negotiations for a Canada-ASEAN Free Trade Agreement and deals like the Canada-Indonesia CEPA, aiming to boost non-U.S. exports significantly.
Recent initiatives also include a C$5 billion fund to help exporters access new markets amid U.S. tariffs on steel, aluminium, and autos.
Champagne noted Canada's growing global influence, such as being invited to the Eurogroup meeting in Brussels as a transatlantic voice, underscoring the shift away from over-reliance on the U.S.
He described the Canadian economy as more resilient than expected, despite trade war pressures forcing a "reinvention" through new markets and industries.
These steps come as Indo-Pacific trade, already Canada's second-largest at over $260 billion, represents untapped potential beyond its current 10% of exports.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Deadline naars: BLA releases dramatic footage of alleged captive Pakistani troops
Rugged terrain, Armed guards: Inside the viral BLA hostage video showing seven abducted Pakistani soldiers

Trump says 200% tariff threat forced India-Pakistan ceasefire: ‘Nothing like money’
Washington DC/IBNS: US President Donald Trump on Thursday reiterated his claim that he acted as a mediator between India and Pakistan during last year's military standoff, asserting that the threat of steep tariffs compelled both nations to resolve the conflict.

UN report raises alarm over possible ethnic cleansing in Gaza, West Bank
Increased Israeli attacks and the forced transfer of Palestinians have sparked concern over ethnic cleansing in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, the UN human rights office, OHCHR, said in a report issued on Thursday.

Trump warns Iran to make 'meaningful deal' as US military buildup intensifies in Middle East
US President Donald Trump has warned Iran that it must agree to a “meaningful” deal amid a large-scale American military buildup in the Middle East, saying the United States may be forced to “take it further” if diplomacy fails, media reports said.
Latest News

Language and scripts should not be politicised; parents must speak mother tongue at home: says HM Amit Shah

Supreme Court takes 'extraordinary' step, puts Bengal SIR under judicial oversight

NPCI promotes digital payments safety awareness for senior citizens

15 Tripura battalion NCC scripts history with complete NER representation at national camps

