Major setback for Trump! US Supreme Court invalidates tariffs, citing constitutional overreach
In a major legal setback for President Donald Trump, the US Supreme Court on Friday struck down his sweeping tariffs, ruling that he exceeded his authority by imposing them under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA).
The 6-3 decision, authored by conservative Chief Justice John Roberts, emphasized that the Constitution grants Congress, not the president, the power to levy taxes and tariffs.
The Court noted that if Congress had intended to give the president such authority under IEEPA, it would have done so explicitly.
Joining Roberts in the majority were three liberal justices and three conservative justices, while Justices Brett Kavanaugh, Clarence Thomas, and Samuel Alito dissented, media reports said.
In April 2025, Trump announced “reciprocal” tariffs on imports from many countries, claiming they were essential to protect US economic security and address trade deficits.
Small businesses and several US states challenged the tariffs, arguing that the administration was turning emergency powers into a “blank cheque” for tariff-making.
By December 2025, the Treasury had collected over $133 billion from these tariffs, and the Congressional Budget Office estimated their long-term economic impact could reach $3 trillion over the next decade.
Companies like Costco have already filed lawsuits seeking refunds.
Legal experts say the ruling reinforces Congress’s exclusive authority to impose taxes and marks a significant limitation on presidential economic powers.
However, the administration may attempt to reimpose tariffs through other legal avenues in the future.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

'Disaster for US workers': Donald Trump slams Supreme Court ruling striking down his tariffs
US President Donald Trump strongly criticized the Supreme Court on Friday after the justices struck down his sweeping tariffs, calling the ruling “outrageous” and a setback for American economic security.

Trump considers limited strike on Iran amid naval buildup, as talks continue in Geneva
US President Donald Trump indicated on Friday that he is considering a limited military strike on Iran, following a major naval deployment to the Middle East aimed at pressuring Tehran to reach an agreement on its nuclear program, media reports said.

Deadline naars: BLA releases dramatic footage of alleged captive Pakistani troops
Rugged terrain, Armed guards: Inside the viral BLA hostage video showing seven abducted Pakistani soldiers

Trump says 200% tariff threat forced India-Pakistan ceasefire: ‘Nothing like money’
Washington DC/IBNS: US President Donald Trump on Thursday reiterated his claim that he acted as a mediator between India and Pakistan during last year's military standoff, asserting that the threat of steep tariffs compelled both nations to resolve the conflict.
Latest News

'Disaster for US workers': Donald Trump slams Supreme Court ruling striking down his tariffs

Trump considers limited strike on Iran amid naval buildup, as talks continue in Geneva

Hindi and local languages must progress together: CM

Allegations of firing on air and assault by BSF personnel in Chamubasti of Khowai; two Injured, tension grips area

